While Shimla is a great place for skiing and tobogganing, there are other exciting things to do in this scenic holiday destination.
- Trekking is a joy in Shimla. You can choose the intensity and length of the trek, as well as the region, but whatever route you choose, you’ll always find rest houses and food on the way. The popular routes cover places like Narkanda , Jalori Pass, Khadrala, Hattu Peak, Rampur, Halau and Chakrata .
- Another exciting thing to do here is some mountain climbing. Shimla is known as “the mountaineer’s paradise” due to its location in the Himalayas. Nag Tibba peak is the closest to Shimla at 119 km.
- Paragliding or hang gliding in the lovely Kangra Valley is popular in Shimla with its undulating green terrain.
- Another enjoyable activity in Shimla is the 5-6 hour ride on the toy train from Kalka to Shimla. You’ll chug by picture postcard railway stations, dense forests of pine, oak and deodar and cut through more than a 100 tunnels.
- Do hire a good tourist guide to show you around Shimla and tell you interesting stories about the place as well as its history. Ask your hotel or a travel agency to recommend one and decide on the fee beforehand.
- For summer weather, cotton clothes are fine, but do carry some light woollen garments for the evenings. In winter, heavy woollens are a must.
- Restaurants are open until 11:00 pm.
- Shops are closed on Sundays. Working hours are 10:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- Unless displayed, ask for a fare chart from auto rickshaws and taxis.