Places to visit in Shimla
Holiday is coming, so this is the best time to spend your time with family and friends. When you are with your friends and family then location is not matter, but perfect location enhance your joy and vocation. Shimla is superb place to spend some time with your best buddies.
Places to visit in Shimla:
- Jakhu Temple: At the top of the Jakhu hill is located the famous Jakhu Temple of Shimla. It is approx 2 kilometers from the Shimla. The Jakhu Temple of Shimla is dedicated to the lord Hanuman.
- The Mall Road: Mall Road is good place for shopping and food. You can relax and enjoy the beauty of the hills in your evening time. You will really like walking along here, admiring the old buildings and not looking out for traffic. This place is very clean and well maintain.
- The Ridge: It is a large open space in Shimla along with Mall Road. This is famous for various functions and fairs that are held here. The most famous festival that is held at the Ridge is the Summer Festival. This colourful festival is held during the months of April or May.
- Kalka-Shimla Toy train: This is fun ride to enjoy the view of the great landscapes when you travel from Kalka to Shimla on the toy train. Make sure you sit the right side of the train when going to Shimla, and the left side when returning. Food is not served on the train, so make sure you stock up on drink and food before boarding the train. However the train stops at many small stations where you can purchase things.
- Christ Church: This is the second oldest church in North India, after St John’s Church in Meerut. This splendid church is located just near the Ridge in Shimla and can be reached very easily. The church looks magical during night when lights placed this beautiful church.
- Rashtrapati Niwas (Viceregal Lodge or Indian Institute of Advanced Study): Rashtrapati Niwas is located on the Observatory Hill in Shimla. It is also known as the Viceregal Lodge and “The Indian Institute of Advanced Study”. This historical place, surrounded by a beautiful garden and hills, provides ideal settings for photography.
- Shimla State Museum: The Museum was opened in 1974, has tried to protect hill-out and the cultural wealth of the state. It has a rich collection of anthropological items like miniature Pahari paintings, sculptures, bronzes wood-carvings, costumes, textiles and jewellery of the region.
- Tara Devi Temple: This temple is at the top of a hill in Simla and situated at a distance of around 12 kilometers from Shimla on the Kalka – Shimla National Highway. This temple is surrounding by lush green environment which make a very peaceful and tranquil atmosphere.
- Annandale: Annandale is located 4km from Ridge and having a ground for cricket and polo. There is an army museum also which has various army weapons and army dresses. The view of snow peaked mountains around and peaceful environment here makes it must visit place if you are going to Shimla.
- Johnnie’s wax museum: A Gurgaon-based company ‘BM Brothers’ has brought new charm to the Queen of Hills as it opened Himachal’s first Wax Museum at the historic Willow Banks estate in capital city Shimla. Johnnie’s Wax Museum opened for public after Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh inaugurated it on May 11,2016. This museum is must visit place in Shimla.
If you are having extra days then you can also visit Chail and Kufri;
Chail is just 43 km from Shimla. It has the highest cricket ground in the world. The dense forests around are alive with many species of birds and animals but it is best known for its Scottish red Deer.
Kufri is located 16 km from the Shimla on the National Highway No.22. It is especially popular for trekking and skiing. The skiing slopes of Kufri are the oldest in Himachal Pradesh. There is also organized annual National Snow Statue making competition in January and winter sport festival during the month of January or February. Kufri is also best location in summer due to its beautiful surrounding. The Himalayan Nature Park is situated on the outskirts of the town which make this place heaven for nature enthusiasts and wildlife lovers. Kufri Zoo museum is also impressive.
Shimla is perfect location for adventure lover; you can enjoy a lot of adventure sport like:
- Ice Skating, ice skating festival is organized in Shimla every year.
- Skiing, Kufri is main point to enjoy the skiing.
- River Rafting, you can enjoy river rafting in Satluj River.
- Horse Riding
You can also check the this story about Shimla Trip